White, yellow & brown rice has a similar calorie content. A cup of cooked rice has up to 240 calories. The calorie content depends on the cooking method and rice variety. Uncooked rice has much more calorie than cooked rice.
How many calories in a cup of boiled rice?
Most types of rice contain about 90–120 calories per 100g of cooked rice. Practically, a cup (160g) of boiled rice has up to 240 calories. Two cups contain up to 480 calories.
Cooked rice has fewer calories than uncooked rice because it contains more water. Actually, uncooked rice has about 370 calories per 100g, while a cup of uncooked rice has about 680 calories.
Rice is a super filling food. Mainly due to its high fiber and protein content. A cup of rice, with veggies, mushrooms, or beans, can keep you full for a really long time. Certainly, eating reasonable amounts of rice can help you lose weight.
What type of rice has more calories?
There are many types of rice and rice products:
- white rice has 129 calories per 100g. A cup (160g) of cooked white rice has about 205 calories.
- yellow rice has 88 calories per 100g, or only 140 calories per cup.
- brown rice has 122 calories per 100g. A cup of cooked brown rice has about 195 calories.
- wild rice has 101 calories per 100g, or 165 calories per cup.
- rice crackers contain about 416 calories per 100g.
- cooked rice noodles contain about 108 calories per 100g. Uncooked rice noodles have about 364 calories per 100g.
- rice flakes have about 394 calories per 100g.
As you can see, a cup of cooked rice contains about 200 calories. White, yellow, and brown rices have almost the same calorie content.
Does the cooking method affect the calorie content of rice?
Above all, if you want to lose weight, you should avoid fried rice. Vegetable oils and butters are the most calorie-dense foods. They’re 100% fat. A tablespoon contains 125 calories!
Certainly, boiled rice contains fewer calories than fried rice. Fried rice contains 174 calories per 100g. Furthermore, a cup of fried rice has about 345 calories. That’s 35% more calories than boiled rice (1).
If you regularly eat rice, it’s a good idea to invest in a quality rice cooker. You can easily steam veggies as well. You can find an inexpensive rice cooker on Amazon. Prefer a cooker with high capacity.