We can eat up to 2 slices of white, whole wheat, or any other type of bread per day for weight loss.
How many slices of bread should I eat a day to lose weight?
Actually, all types of bread have a similar calorie content.
How many calories in a slice of white bread?
White bread has 267 calories per 100g. A medium slice of white bread has about 73 calories. Two slices of white bread have less than 150 calories!
So, eating 1-2 slices of bread a day won’t make you fat. Actually, eating 1-2 slices of bread a day can help people follow a hypocaloric diet for weight loss for a long time. Reasonable amounts of bread are beneficial for weight loss.
On the other hand, obese people who want to lose weight shouldn’t eat more than 2 slices of bread a day. Instead, you should consume lots of healthy, low-calorie, filling foods, such as vegetables.
How many slices of whole wheat bread a day to lose weight?
Whole wheat bread has a similar calorie content to white bread. It has about 254 calories per 100g. A slice of whole wheat bread has about 70 calories. So, we also should eat up to 2 slices of whole wheat bread a day for weight loss.
Prefer eating whole wheat bread than white bread. It has a higher nutritional value. It’s richer in fiber, protein, and minerals!
How many calories in other breads?
All breads have a similar calorie content:
- multi-grain bread has 265 calories per 100g
- rye bread has 259 calories per 100g
- barley bread has 274 calories per 100g
- oatmeal bread has 269 calories per 100g
- potato bread has 266 calories per 100g
- rice bread has 248 calories per 100g
- bread with seeds has about 306 calories per 100g
- gluten-free bread from rice flour or corn starch has about 248 calories per 100g.
A medium slice of bread (27 grams) has between 67 and 83 calories. A large slice (40 grams) has between 102 and 126 calories!
Actually, it’s easy to overconsume bread. Eating more than 2 medium slices of any type of bread can make you gain weight. The calorie content of a slice depends on the type of bread and on its size:
- 2 slices have between 134 and 252 calories, or up to 13% of the Daily Value on a 2,000 calorie diet
- 3 slices have between 201 and 378 calories, or 10-19% of the DV
- 4 slices have between 268 and 504 calories, or 13-25% of the DV
What’s the best bread for weight loss?
Certainly, whole grain breads are better for weight loss. Also, they’re good for health. They have the highest nutritional value.
Whole grain breads with seeds are also beneficial for weight loss. Despite, their high calorie content. Pumpkin, sunflower, and flax seeds support weight loss, as they’re particularly high in minerals and compounds that involved in energy metabolism:
- pumpkin seeds are the richest seeds in iron and one of the richest foods in potassium
- sunflower seeds are good dietary sources of iron, zinc, vitamin B6, and vitamin E
- flax seeds are one of the richest common foods in omega-3s
Does white bread make you fat?
Certainly, up to 2 medium slices of white bread a day, as part of a well-balanced diet, won’t make you fat. However, it’s better to avoid white bread. White bread may have:
- less fiber and minerals than whole grain breads
- added sugar and preservatives
- a high glycemic index of 75. Just for comparison, pure sugar has a glycemic index of 84. Too much white bread can spike blood sugar levels.
Can a slice of bread be bad for weight loss?
In fact, just a slice of bread with a high-calorie spread, sauce, or paste can make you fat. It can have more than 400 calories!
For instance, a serving (2 tbsp) of:
- hazelnut spread has 200 calories
- tahini has 167 calories
- olive oil has 252 calories
- mayonnaise has 190 calories
What’s the best time to eat bread for weight loss?
The best time to eat 1-2 slices of bread for weight loss is at breakfast. In the morning, the body has increased glucose sensitivity. It stores more net carbs of bread as glycogen in the muscles.
Moreover, eating 1-2 slices of whole grain bread at breakfast is good for weight loss, as it keeps you full for hours! So, consuming reasonable amounts of bread can control hunger during the day. Actually, bread helps the body produce serotonin, a compound that regulates appetite, helping us lose weight.
Avoiding fattening snacks is key for maintaining a hypocaloric diet for a long time.
On the other hand, the worst time to eat bread for weight loss is at night. Bread can lead to overconsumption. Also, extra carbs are stored as body fat.