Eating overnight oats with yogurt supports weight loss. This is a healthy and super filling snack that burns belly fat, as it has 24 grams of protein, and it’s packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. You could add certain seeds, nuts, and fruits to skyrocket its nutritional value. There are so many easy, quick, and delicious recipes to incorporate it to your daily diet plan.
How many calories does a bowl of oats with yogurt have?
A bowl with a scoop of oats and a cup of nonfat plain yogurt has only 230 calories.
Why should I prefer eating low-fat yogurt?
Certainly, you should prefer consuming low-fat plain yogurt if you want to lose weight. Whole milk yogurt has about 50% more calories. Just a cup of whole milk yogurt has almost 200 calories.
Additionally, whole milk yogurt is high in saturated fat. A cup has up to 4.8 grams of saturated fat. This dose is 37% of the maximum safe intake on a 2,000-calorie diet.
Consuming much higher amounts of saturated fat than the maximum recommended intake increases the risk of obesity. It stimulates the accumulation of belly fat in particular.
Sweetened yogurts can make you fat
Also, you should avoid consuming sweetened or flavored yogurts. They’re bad for weight loss because they’re probably packed with added sugar.
Not only do you get many extra calories from sugar, but as sugar is rewarding, it affects eating behavior. It leads to overeating. Eating lots of sweetened foods can make you gain weight.
If you like the sweet taste of fruits with your yogurt, it’s preferable to use whole fruits.
What’s the best yogurt for weight loss?
Low-fat plain Greek yogurt is one of the healthiest yogurts you can eat for weight loss. It’s particularly high in protein, while it has the least amount of sugar, as compared with regular yogurt.
For instance, nonfat Greek yogurt has 10.3 grams of protein and only 3.3 grams of sugars per 100g.
Other nonfat flavored yogurts have only 5 grams of protein, while they have almost 13 grams of sugar per 100g! Just a cup of a flavored yogurt can provide more sugar than the maximum recommended daily intake!
Promotes satiety for hours
One key reason why eating overnight oats with Greek yogurt supports weight loss is that the combination of fiber with protein promotes satiety.
Yogurt is high in protein, but it has no fiber. On the other hand, a serving of oats has 3.7 grams of protein as well as 2.9 grams of fiber. A scoop of oats provides 10% of the Daily Value of fiber.
Fiber regulates appetite as it delays digestion. Also, it expands in the stomach, taking a lot of space. So, it helps reduce total energy intake.
Eating Greek yogurt with a serving of overnight oats can promote the feeling of fullness for many hours. Most noteworthy, it reduces hunger with only a few calories.
If you want to lose weigh, you could try drinking kefir. Kefir is a great alternative to yogurt. As it’s the richest common food in probiotics, it improves the health of gut microbiota that plays a key role in regulating appetite. Also, kefir is one of the most nutritious foods you can consume.
Helps build a lean body
A serving of overnight oats with nonfat Greek yogurt may provide more than 24 grams of protein!
Besides satiety, protein supports weight loss because it has a high thermic effect. About 30% of calories of protein are burned during digestion!
Also, it’s important to consume high amounts of protein while dieting for a lean body. High protein intake protects muscle mass while following a low-calorie diet. Unfortunately, we lose both fat and muscle mass while dieting. Minimizing the loss of muscle mass is key for a lean body.
Moreover, muscle mass burns many calories. It has increased energy needs. So, building or preserving muscle mass is key for good basal metabolism.
Many nutrients in oats & yogurt support weight loss!
Adding a small serving of overnights oats to your yogurt skyrockets the nutritional value of your favorite snack. Overnight oats with yogurt have so many vitamins, minerals, and other health-promoting compounds that help burn belly fat and lose body weight.
Firstly, yogurt is particularly high in calcium. A serving can provide more than 24% of the Daily Value.
It’s crucial to get adequate amounts of calcium on a hypocaloric diet. This key mineral has potent anti-obesity properties. It may inhibit the formation of new fat tissue, increase thermogenesis, and prevent the absorption of fat from food.
It also regulates gut microbiota, which play a key role in maintaining a healthy body weight.
Moreover, yogurt is one of the best dietary sources of vitamin B12. A bowl provides about 58% of the DV.
We should have normal levels of vitamin B12 while follow a low-calorie diet for weight loss. Vitamin B12 is necessary for energy metabolism. High intakes have been associated with lower Body Mass Index.
Keep in mind that vitamin B12 deficiency is more common in obese or overweight individuals.
Cow’s milk is the main dietary source of vitamin B12 for most people.
Additionally, both oats and yogurt are particularly rich in phosphorus. A bowl of overnight oats with yogurt provides 55% of the Daily Value.
Phosphorus enhances postprandial energy expenditure. Especially if we have a carbohydrate-rich meal.
Moreover, it promotes satiety. A phosphorus-rich diet significantly reduces hunger. Also, it can help burn belly fat, reducing waist circumference.
Both oats and yogurt are high in selenium. A serving provides about 51% of the Daily Value.
Adequate levels of selenium have protective effects against obesity.
Also, selenium plays a key role in building muscle mass! Hence, we should get high amounts of selenium while following a hypocaloric diet in order to protect the precious lean body mass.
Moreover, selenium may reduce the total fat percentage of the body.
Hence, high selenium intake appears to improve body composition.
Obese people have an increased risk of selenium deficiency, though.
If you want to skyrocket your daily selenium intake, you could add crushed Brazil nuts to your yogurt. Just a Brazil nut provides the recommended daily intake of selenium!
Adding a serving of overnight oats to your yogurt boosts manganese concentrations of your favorite snack. A bowl of yogurt with oats provides 45% of the Daily Value.
Oats are among the richest foods in manganese. Yogurt has less manganese, though.
We should have healthy levels of manganese in order to lose weight. But, obese people have increased risk of being deficient in manganese as compared to individuals with normal body weight.
Furthermore, both oats and yogurt contain decent amounts of zinc. A cup of yogurt with overnight oats provides 19% of the Daily Value.
High zinc intake combined with a calorie-restricted diet has beneficial effects on weight loss. Among other health benefits, zinc improves insulin resistance and controls appetite.
Zinc deficiency is very common. Especially among men.
You could further increase the zinc concentrations of your favorite snacks by adding certain seeds and nuts. Along with oats and beans, they’re among the richest vegan foods in zinc.
Also, both oats and yogurt have some magnesium. A serving of overnight oats with yogurt provides about 14% of Daily Value.
Magnesium is vital for weight loss. It prevents water retention, regulates glucose metabolism, stimulates the synthesis of anabolic hormones by the body, and many more!
Another key mineral that oats and yogurt are abundant in is potassium. A bowl of yogurt with oats provides 11% of the DV.
High potassium intake appears to substantially decrease Body Mass Index. Following a low-calorie, potassium-rich diet can lead to a 25% greater decrease in BMI compared to a low-potassium diet.
You can boost the potassium content of your favorite snack by adding certain seeds and nuts. Hemp seeds are the richest plant-based foods in potassium.
It’s vital to consume many foods high in potassium while dieting. It’s estimated that only 10% of men and less than 1% of women consume the recommended daily intake.
Other Vitamins & Minerals
Overnight oats with yogurt contain decent amounts of many other vitamins and minerals that involved in energy metabolism. A serving contains:
- Iron, 7.5% DV
- Thiamine, 11% DV
- Riboflavin, 3.4% DV
- Niacin. 2% DV
- Vitamin B6, 2.2% DV
- Folate, 2.3% DV
- Choline, 2.1% DV
As you can see, overnight oats with yogurt is one of the most nutrient-dense snacks you can easily prepare.
You could also eat yogurt with corn flakes. A serving of corn flakes supports weight loss, while they add crunchiness to the meal.
How can I prepare the ultimate yogurt snack for weight loss?
While overnight oats combined with yogurt make for a fantastic weight loss snack, the addition of various fruits, seeds, nuts, or cinnamon enhances its nutritional value and filling effect.
Seeds & nuts
Firstly, you could add half a handful of your favorite seeds and nuts to your yogurt. Seeds and nuts are packed with minerals that involved in energy metabolism as well as countless functions of the human body.
Also, seeds and nuts have decent amounts of protein and fiber.
Granola supports weight loss as well. Granola is a mixture of rolled oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and honey.
Notably, certain seeds as well as walnuts are the main dietary sources of omega-3s. Omega-3s protect lean body mass and help burn more belly fat. Hence, they’re beneficial for improved body composition.
Moreover, you could add some almonds or sunflower seeds to your overnight oats with yogurt. They’re the richest foods in vitamin E.
Vitamin E plays a key role in weight loss. It affects insulin sensitivity and improves our metabolic profile. It appears that people with low vitamin E levels have a higher risk of obesity.
Banana or avocado?
In addition, you could add your favorite fruit to your oatmeal or yogurt. Whole fruits are packed with water, fiber, and vitamins. They’re a great addition to any healthy meal.
Each fruit has unique compounds that help lose weight. Two of the most popular fruits that are used in many recipes are banana and avocado.
Banana is rich in fiber, potassium, and magnesium.
Avocado is an excellent dietary source of fiber, protein, potassium, magnesium, and omega-3s! Hence, eating reasonable amounts of avocado a day supports weight loss. Avocado is one of the most nutritious foods.
Fruits with Vitamin C
Moreover, it’s beneficial for weight loss and good health to consume fruits with vitamin C with your oats or yogurt. Vitamin C is necessary for weight loss. It helps the body burn belly fat and reduce blood sugar levels. Strawberries, kiwi, papaya, mango, and pineapple are only a few fruits naturally high in vitamin C that taste great with overnight oats and yogurt.
However, you should avoid consuming any dried fruit if you want to lose weight. Dried fruits have too many calories and sugar. Only active people, athletes, and fitness enthusiasts could eat dried fruits daily without gaining weight.
Berries are among the fruits with the lowest sugar content. You can enjoy unsweetened frozen or fresh berries with your yogurt or oatmeal.
Also, berries are good for weight loss because they promote satiety with only a few calories. They’re high in fiber and water.
In particular, berries high in anthocyanins like blueberries when eaten with foods with beta-glucan like oats promote the feeling of fullness for many hours.
Furthermore, strawberries are among the richest foods in melatonin; a powerful hormone that supports weight loss! Among other, melatonin reduces hunger and increases metabolism.
In fact, instead of honey, we could eat a high-quality berry jam with no added sugar. A tablespoon of a sugar-free jam can have only 40 calories.
Additionally, you could sprinkle some cinnamon on your overnight oats. Cinnamon controls postprandial glucose response. This is key for reducing appetite.
Cinnamon has potent anti-obesity effects when used in carbohydrate-rich recipes. You should consider applying cinnamon if a recipe requires sugar, honey, oatmeal, rice, bread etc.
20 easy & quick recipes with oats & yogurt
Eating overnight oats with yogurt is easy. Here are 20 easy, quick, filling, and super nutritious recipes.
Protein-rich recipes with oats & yogurt for weight loss
- Protein-Packed Parfait:
- Layer low-fat Greek yogurt, overnight oats, sliced banana, and a sprinkle of soaked chia seeds.
- Repeat the layers. Top with a drizzle of sugar-free berry jam.
- Mango-Coconut Overnight Oats:
- Combine overnight oats, low-fat Greek yogurt, diced mango, shredded coconut, and a touch of cinnamon.
- Let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Enjoy it in the morning.
- Avocado and Greek Yogurt Smoothie Bowl:
- Blend low-fat Greek yogurt, half an avocado, a handful of spinach, a tablespoon of whey protein, and a splash of almond milk.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl. Top with sliced banana, chopped nuts, and a sprinkle of soaked chia seeds.
- Protein Pancakes with Papaya Salsa and Yogurt:
- Prepare a protein pancake batter using whey protein powder, mashed banana, oats, and a dollop of low-fat Greek yogurt.
- Cook the pancakes and serve them with a fresh salsa made from diced papaya, chopped nuts, and a squeeze of lime. Top the pancakes with an additional spoonful of low-fat Greek yogurt for added creaminess.
- Pineapple Upside-Down Overnight Oats:
- Mix overnight oats with low-fat Greek yogurt and diced pineapple.
- Let it sit overnight. In the morning, top with a sprinkle of shredded coconut and a drizzle of sugar-free berry jam.
- Greek Yogurt and Berry Smoothie:
- Blend low-fat Greek yogurt, a handful of mixed berries, a scoop of whey protein, a scoop of overnight oats, and a splash of almond milk.
- Cinnamon Banana Protein Oatmeal:
- Cook oats with water or almond milk. Stir in a sliced banana, a tablespoon of whey protein powder, and a dash of cinnamon.
- Top with a dollop of low-fat Greek yogurt and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Chia Seed Pudding with Mango:
- Combine chia seeds, oats, low-fat Greek yogurt, and almond milk in a jar. Let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, layer the chia seed pudding with diced mango and a sprinkle of shredded coconut.
- Nutty Banana Protein Smoothie:
- Blend low-fat Greek yogurt, a ripe banana, a tablespoon of whey protein powder, a handful of almonds or walnuts, a scoop of overnight oats, and a touch of cinnamon.
- Add a few ice cubes if desired. Enjoy this creamy and satisfying smoothie as part of a well-balanced, hypocaloric diet for weight loss.
- Greek Yogurt and Seed Parfait:
- Layer low-fat Greek yogurt, overnight oats, a mixture of pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, and a drizzle of honey.
- Repeat the layers. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon for added flavor.
10 Keto recipes with yogurt, berries, seeds & nuts
These recipes provide a range of keto-friendly options that include low-fat Greek yogurt and incorporate healthy seeds and nuts high in omega-3 and vitamin E. Enjoy these easy, quick, delicious and nutritious snacks as part of your weight loss journey!
Since instance oats are so high in carbs, you should avoid consuming them in a keto-friendly meal. You could eat only small amounts of steel-cut oats.
Also, you could use sugar-free berry jam instead of honey. Berries are low in sugars.
- Greek Yogurt Parfait:
- Layer low-fat Greek yogurt, a sprinkle of chia seeds, crushed walnuts, and a drizzle of sugar-free berry jam.
- Repeat the layers and enjoy this protein and omega-3-rich parfait.
- Flaxseed Protein Pancakes:
- Make a pancake batter using a combination of almond flour, eggs, whey protein powder, ground flaxseeds, and cinnamon.
- Cook the pancakes and serve them with a dollop of low-fat Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of crushed walnuts.
- Chia Seed Pudding:
- Mix chia seeds, unsweetened almond milk, and a dash of cinnamon in a jar. Let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, top the pudding with a spoonful of low-fat Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of hemp seeds.
- Avocado and Greek Yogurt Dip:
- Mash a ripe avocado and mix it with low-fat Greek yogurt, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Use it as a nutritious, protein-rich dip.
- Greek Yogurt and Berry Smoothie:
- Blend low-fat Greek yogurt, mixed berries, a scoop of whey protein powder, and a sprinkle of flaxseeds.
- Add a splash of water or unsweetened almond milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Protein-Packed Tuna Salad:
- Mix canned tuna, chopped avocado, diced celery, and a dollop of low-fat Greek yogurt.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Keto Greek Yogurt Bark:
- Combine low-fat Greek yogurt, a scoop of whey protein powder, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Spread the mixture onto a parchment-lined tray and top with crushed walnuts and chia seeds.
- Freeze until firm, then break it into bark-like pieces for a satisfying and protein-rich snack.
- Green Smoothie Bowl:
- Blend low-fat Greek yogurt, a handful of spinach, a tablespoon of hemp seeds, and a scoop of whey protein powder.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl. Top with sliced avocado, a sprinkle of flaxseeds, and a few fresh berries.
- Greek Yogurt Stuffed Bell Peppers:
- Fill halved bell peppers with a mixture of low-fat Greek yogurt, cooked chicken or turkey, diced avocado, and hemp seeds.
- Bake until the peppers are tender and the filling is heated through.
- Cinnamon Almond Protein Oatmeal:
- Cook 1–2 tablespoons of steel-cut oats with water or unsweetened almond milk. Stir in a scoop of whey protein powder and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Top the oatmeal with a spoonful of low-fat Greek yogurt and a handful of crushed almonds for added protein and vitamin E.
Can eating oats with yogurt make me gain weight?
Yes, oats with yogurt can make you gain weight. Even healthy snacks can make you fat if they have too many calories.
Eating high amounts, or adding too many ingredients to your yogurt recipes, is bad for weight loss.
Oats in particular have too many calories. Even oatmeal can make you gain weight. You shouldn’t consume high amounts if you want to lose these extra pounds.
Moreover, people with:
- lactose intolerance
- allergic diseases
- digestion issues
may benefit by avoiding consuming cow’s milk yogurt.
In these cases, the consumption of cow’s milk yogurt or any other dairy products may cause abdominal discomfort, bloating, or other adverse effects. Great alternatives to regular yogurt are lactose-free or vegan yogurts.
In any case, you should consult your physician before changing your eating habits.
What’s the best time of the day to eat Greek yogurt with oats?
In the morning
Certainly, one of the best times of the day to eat oats with yogurt is at breakfast or at brunch. Having a super filling breakfast regulates total energy intake and manages the synthesis of many satiety hormones like leptin. Practically, what you eat in the morning can affect the feeling of hunger in the evening!
Moreover, adding fruits with in vitamin C, or berries high in resveratrol can substantially increase the antioxidant status of the body. Antioxidants protect the eyes, skin, and hair from oxidative stress due to air pollution, sunlight, or smoking.
It’s good for you to start your day by boosting your antioxidant intake.
After the gym
Another great time to eat oats with protein-packed yogurt is after a workout.
A couple of hours after strenuous exercise, the body has improved insulin sensitivity. It seeks easily digested carbs. Oats are high-quality carbs.
You could add many fruits to your favorite post-workout snack as well. Not only sugar in fruits helps replenish muscle glycogen stores, but also most fruits are packed with vitamin C and other antioxidants that promote muscle recovery. Athletes have increased needs of vitamin C.
Last, but not least, you could eat oats with yogurt for dinner. This healthy snack keeps you full until bedtime. It prevents late-night cravings that can be really harmful to any diet for weight loss.
Additionally, yogurt and oats are packed with compounds that promote a good night’s sleep. A high-quality sleep is crucial for weight loss. People who sleep only a few hours at night have substantially higher risk of obesity.
Calcium, phosphorus, vitamin B12, selenium, and zinc are only a few compounds that are important for sleep onset latency and duration.
When does eating oats with yogurt make you fat?
The worst time of the day to eat oats with yogurt, or any other snack, is right before going to bed.
It’s important to have dinner at least a couple of hours before bedtime. Eating right before bedtime increases the risk of obesity 5-fold.
Certainly, you should have a light dinner for maintaining a lean body. Eating healthy snacks, like oats with yogurt, omelet, fruit salad, or turkey sandwich supports a good night’s sleep as well as weight loss.